SQLBackupAndFTP is a simple backup solution for your database. I have used this tool for years and recently SQLBackupAndFTP support store backups in cloud storage – Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and so on.
SQLBackupAndFTP backup database with the following features
- Backup MS SQL databases
- Backup Windows Folders
- Compress your backup files
- Encrypt your backup files
- Upload to your destination
- FTP server
- Google Drive and other cloud storage
- Network drive
- Send e-mail confirmations
The tool can run on Windows Task Scheduler or SQLBackupAndFTP service with Full Backup or Differential Backup.
In my previous post (Remote Offline Database Backup), remote offline backup is critical in case of ransomware attack.
You just need a few steps to configure SQLBackupAndFTP to perform database backup onto Dropbox and Google Drive. Below are the steps:
- Click “Connect to SQL Server / Azure”
- Enter your server name, login and password
- Check the database(s) to backup
- Click Add Folder to add desired folders
- If your ERP system stores images, pdf files on a folder, you can Add that folder to backup
- Click Add backup destination
- For Dropbox or Google Drive
- Enter your Dropbox or Google account information
- Grant access right to SQLBackupAndFTP
- Check Send e-mail confirmation
- Suggest you to have two different email addresses for success and failure notification.
- On Success email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- On Failure email to: email@example.com
- Check Schedule this job. Set your desire time.
Click on Advance Setting button, Check Encrypt zip/7ze file using AES-256 algorithm. The backup file will be encrypted by AES 256bit key. Make sure you secure your password. You need the password to decrypt your backup files. Backup files will be encrypted. Anyone steals your backup files cannot be restored unless they have the password to decrypt the files. Therefore, please use STRONG password (Uppercase + lowercase + number + symbol).
Click on More backup options, You can check
- Add CHECKSUM option to BACKUP statement
- Run RESTORE VERIFYONLY afterbackup
- Use SMO for remote backup
Now you can try “Run Now”. Check any errors on the steps. Check your backup destination. Download your backup files from Dropbox or Google Drive. Unzip / Decrypt using your password. If everything goes fine, then the backup configuration is completed.
for detail tutorial, please refer to this.
You may ask why not to use MS SQL Server Management Studio to perform backup or other enterprise backup solution. Yes, you can do it on SSMS, but you need to do all integration and scripting by yourself. Features provided by Enterprise backup solution is definitely more advance, but expensive.
You may ask shall I install Dropbox client on my MSSQL database server so that all backup files can be sync automatically. I think this is not a good approach to have remote backup because you do not know when the file sync is completed and there is no email confirmation. Besides, if someone accidentally remove file on Dropbox folder, files on the cloud storage will be removed also.